Products development is the foundation of the e-commerce business. It is the beginning of making a successful online store.
Launching a new product that can become the best-selling one overnight is unrealistic. Still, you can profit if you sell the right products based on the proper market research. It isn't easy to find the right product. You need to delve into a large amount of data and analyze the consumer demand of various target audiences. Products that are too popular or too niche are not the best choice. Some products were profitable and trendy in 2021. Can we sell them in 2022? The answer is no because the market is full of merchants that sell the same product at a very low price. In this post, we use Shopify's 2021 sales data to help you identify the trendy product categories and products in 2022. We hope this post can inspire you to conduct a successful eCommerce product strategy.
Content of Ecommerce Product Development
- Tools & Home Improvement
- Beauty And Personal Care
- Environmentally Friendly Product
- Sports And Outdoors
- Toys and Games
- Office Products
1. Ecommerce Product Development Category: Tools & Home Improvement
Tools & home improvement products became a hit in 2020 during the pandemic. Most people had to stay at home and couldn't go out, so they began to fiddle with various decorations at home. Now, after the whole year of 2021, everyone's enthusiasm for home decorations has not diminished. It seems that they have developed a habit of dressing up in their homes during the epidemic. According to the forecasts, home decorations will continue to grow by 4.8% between 2021 and 2026. There are four products to sell in the home decoration category in 2022. (1) Carpet and rug The carpets and rugs market is expected to grow by 4% between 2022 and 2026. After the epidemic becomes less contagious, the real estate industry will recover soon. Consumers in North America, South America, Europe, and Oceania will be more likely to purchase carpets and rugs when choosing home decors. There are functional carpets and rugs to prevent dust and dirt from entering the home and living room. Some carpets and rugs are designed for decorations with aesthetic and artistic value. When you sell carpets and rugs, do forget to categorize your product based on the uses of the products. (2) Bedding Bedding is not only the four-piece set we often use. Blankets, sheets, mattresses, pillows, cushions, sheets, duvets, quilts, etc., are all bedding products. Bedding with beautiful and unique designs is trendy, and the bedding market is expected to grow by 6% between 2022 and 2026. Consumers' needs for bedding lie in comfort, hygiene, and sleep improvement. At the same time, bedding will also be used as home decors. (3) Household storage and organization products Household storage and organization products, the name speaks itself. They help people organize and store clothes, food, supplies, and other household items. Everyone at least needs one home storage container, so the home storage container has always been in demand. Beautiful home storage containers can also be used as home decoration. Many consumers like to choose suitable storage containers according to the items they store and the style of the room. (4) Kitchen towels According to research by IMARC Group, the market value of kitchen towels will reach $20.9 billion by 2026, with moderate growth in the next few years. Kitchen towels cannot be ignored in the category of household items. Popular products are disposable or recycled towels used to clean furniture surfaces, especially stoves and other places that are hard to clean. (5) Decorative bottle According to Shopify's research, the global order growth (YOY) for decorative bottles will reach 438% in 2021. Among them, British consumers are the most important target customers. Decorative bottles come in many different forms, not limited to traditional vases, pottery urns, jars, etc. As long as the bottles you sell can meet customers' needs, you don't have to worry about the sales.
2. Ecommerce Product Development Category: Beauty & Personal Care
(1) Headband The headband is a timeless fashion accessory and is an impulsive consumer product under the "lipstick effect." The need for a headband will not be significantly affected even in a recession because its price is low. You can create content for promotion based on hairstyles and headbands when selling them. (2) False eyelashes The competition in the false eyelashes market is fierce. However, there is still a good chance for newcomers. The global false eyelashes market was valued at $1,377.28 million in 2021. It is expected to reach $2,046.61 million by 2028, a CAGR of 5.8%. Although there are many competitors, the market size is constantly growing. That means false eyelashes are an Evergreen product, and you don't have to worry that the market will collapse overnight. (3) Manicure tools Manicure is a hobby shared by women worldwide. Instead of going to a nail salon, many women will buy manicure products to do their nails by themselves at home. Google Trends also shows a massive increase in searches for "Nail extensions," proving that it's an increasingly popular item.
3. Ecommerce Product Development Category:
Environmentally Friendly Products Environmentally friendly products will continue to grow for the next 30 years. All countries in the EU are in the process of ecological transition, and this process will complete around 2055. Consumers are becoming aware of environmental protection. Everyone is aware of the consequences of climate change, and many people will spontaneously save energy and reduce emissions in their daily lives, including buying environmentally friendly products. For online sellers, especially those who want to build a brand, products made of environmentally friendly materials may be a good choice for brand building in the next few years. In this extensive category, there are two examples for you to consider. (1) Cork notebook cover & phone case The laptop market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 0.5% between 2022 and 2027. Its accessories are also in demand. This biodegradable laptop cover made of cork is a product with huge potential. At the same time, everyone is also very interested in degradable mobile phone cases. (2) Cork yoga mat Yoga has grown in popularity over the past few years and has become one of the top 10 most popular fitness activities globally. The market value in 2021 was about $11.6 billion and will reach $15.2 billion in 2026. Combining yoga mats with eco-sustainability trends is a perfect eCommerce product launch strategy for a new brand.
4. Ecommerce Product Development Category: Sports
The sports category is also a top-selling category during the pandemic. People's demand for sports categories has gradually shifted from indoors to outdoors after the pandemic ceases. From sportswear to accessories to sports equipment (weights, exercise bikes, rackets, balls, etc.) are the products you can sell. Let's check out the following two popular products in the sports category. (1)Athleisure products The primary target audience for athleisure products are teenagers and young people in their 20s and 30s. Their primary demand is comfortable and good-looking clothing, shoes, and hats when exercising outdoors. If you decide to sell sports products, you need to be more sensitive to the product price. Most young consumers want to find more cost-effective products than traditional brick-and-mortar stores when shopping online. Under this product category, mesh shoes will be very eye-catching in sales in 2021. They have become a must-have item for urban sports groups, and the demand is still growing. (2)Sports water bottle The sports water bottle is one of the most searched products under the sports category. Its annual sales volume is also considerable. ##5. Ecommerce Product Development Category: Fashion Although the fashion market competition is fierce, the returns are high. Still, many sellers are willing to take a piece of the pie due to the massive demand in the market. There are two latest top-selling items related to fashion clothing for you. (1)Bikini Clothing sellers may need to consider selling bikini or swimming suits before the summer of 2022. Affected by the epidemic, people who cannot go to the beach have a high expectation for the following summer. However, considering the return and exchange of such items, it is recommended that sellers with weak supply chain capabilities should not rush into the fashion product market. Selling bikinis and underwear with other items, such as high-waisted pants and others, will be more effective than selling bikinis alone. (2) Shapewear Strictly speaking, shapewear is not a fashion product. Still, many people use it when dressing up to get in better shape. The same suggestion, it is better to sell with other clothing. (3) Minimalist jewelry The niche jewelry market has also been popular in recent years. Google Trends data shows that consumers frequently search for "Minimalist jewelry," but few stores sell them online. If you ask what products are the most popular, the answer must be "minimalist jewelry."
6. Ecommerce Product Development Category: Toys
The Toys category saw a 1,239% YOY of global order growth on Shopify, with Canada as the top-selling country. In the first half of 2021, the global toy market reached US$110.97 billion, showing rapid growth. The Toys product includes crafts, building blocks, dolls, games and puzzles, baby and toddler toys, teen electronics, plush toys, miniature car replicas, exploration toys, and outdoor and sports toys. Apart from the products above, there are reading, and flying toys, whose global orders also increased by 294% and 275%, respectively. The data shows that the average monthly search volume of the word "TOY" is 1.8 million times, and it is showing an upward trend.
7. Ecommerce Product Development Category: Automotive
(1) Motor accessories The global order growth (YOY) of auto parts on Shopify is 326%, and the top-selling country is France. Auto parts sales on Shopify have increased dramatically over the past few months, as have stores selling this category. They are expected to grow 3.8% annually through 2028. Auto parts include tire, battery, brakes, filter, lighting, wheel exhaust components, turbocharger, etc. Selling such products requires the seller to be professional. It is best to have an auto parts supply chain and sales experience. (2)Car navigation related products This type of product's global order growth (YOY) is 323%. The top-selling country is Brazil. According to Keywords Everywhere, the term "GPS navigation" is searched about 3,600 times a month. People are also searching for variant phrases like "GPS car navigation system" and "built-in car navigation system," with 1,300 and 480 monthly searches. Under this category, we can sell the following items, such as GPS case cover, GPS navigation stand, chargers, and adapters. In addition, hikers may also need handheld GPS, and products related to handheld GPS are also a good business opportunity.
8. Ecommerce Product Development Category: Office Products
In 2021, the pen had reached 540% in Shopify Global Order Growth (YOY), mainly sold in the United States. Over the past few years, new multi-function pens have emerged, such as styluses, inks of different colors, pencils of various sizes, etc. The primary customer groups and popular products are as follows: Students: colored pencils and pens Artist: Brushes of various shades High-income group: Brands of high-end pens (with a sense of design) Business: Practical pens Identifying your target customer group and narrowing down the market segment is vital. Shopify's global order growth (YOY) for office chairs reached 304%. This surge in demand is also triggered by working from home due to the pandemic. Although offices have fully resumed in China, overseas, especially in the United States, many people still work from home. A good office chair can help them work more efficiently relieve chronic back pain. Trending data from Keywords Everywhere shows: Office chair search volume: 1,220,000/month Ergonomic office chair: 90,500/month Home office chair: 49,500/month Office chairs for sale: 49,500/month You need to target ideal customers, say your target group is students. Your marketing campaigns may need to influence their parents. You can promote your products directly to businesses or working adults if you're selling office chairs.
Products that were popular last year may not be popular this year, but everything has an exception. If you've researched 2021's bestsellers, you've probably seen some of the products above, and they're also the most popular products to sell online in 2022. That proves that the demand for such a product has not declined over time and is snowballing, which means there is greater market demand.